WrekLess

[Release] AvA ROM - Android TV for Tinkerboard

Hello,

I invested over a year on this project and spent many frustrating hours getting a tablet based OS to perform like a version made for TV's.

This is not a finished product, but I thought some of you may find it useful. I am not a developer and therefore cannot guarantee an issue free experience. I stepped away from the project due to getting stuck in many areas. If anyone with the skills, time and willingness to help wants to help me polish this OS...feel free to send me a PM.

Without further delay, I present AvA ROM (Android Video Appliance) for Tinkerboard:

Download: AvA ROM RC1

AvA_ROM.jpg

Things to know:

• Based on Android 7.1.2.
  • Works best with keyboard and mouse.
  • Plugging in wireless remotes causes severe slowdown (solution = Android TV Remote app).
  • Shutdown/sleep doesn't work well.
  • Should run on Tinkerboard S.
  • Not licensed for Netflix or Disney Plus (most other apps and games work).
  • Image is 2.46 GB in size (minimum 4GB SD card).

There are workarounds for the above licensing woes, solutions are just a Google search away.

I am not sure if the forum moderators will approve this post immediately, but look forward to hearing some of you got to try it out.

Best regards,

WrekLess.

Edited by WrekLess
  • Like 1

Just dropping in to say thanks for the effort and for sharing! I've tried to run it and see how far I get. It looks tantalizing and I would love to use it! However, after a few reboots it started to freeze a lot, sometimes didn't acquire a wlan connection, etc. It keeps asking me on start up how I want to mount a USB device (seems to be the mini SD on which it is installed), and sometimes I don't even get past that question. Perhaps I could reset everything, but it doesn't feel very resilient, unfortunately.

I have used it with a wireless airmouse/keyboad combo. Works a treat and doesn't seem to cause additional slowness, but perhaps the instability is caused by the issue you mention.

I didn't get the tv remote to be picked up with hdmi-cec. That would be nifty.

I have a Tinkerboard S

Thanks again. I understand that you don't want to spend more time on this niche project. Just wanted to raise my hand an say I am actually interested.