Kubo

Loading firmware failed! Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13

Hello

I tried to flash  Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13 to the Tinker Edge R as per the official documentation, but it failed to load the firmware and I can't flash.
V1.0.4 succeeds, but V1.0.13 fails.
I tried using Tinker_Edge_R-Flash_GUI_V1.0.0, AndroidTool, RKDevTool  and flash.cmd.
Please tell me how to deal with this problem.

Rockchip_DriverAssitant Version 5.1.1

• Tinker_Edge_R-Flash_GUI_V1.0.0 
    • Flash failed (Please Power off the device, ...)
  • AndroidTool_Release_v2.51 or RKDevTool (Ver.2.81)
    • Loading firmware failed!
  • flash.cmd
    • Loading firmware...
    • Loading firmware failed!
    • Press any key to exit...

Also, there was no problem in checking SHA256 of Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13 zip.

thanks

hello @Kubo

please try to connect the board with a PC and power on to boot into UMS mode, so then you can use flash tools such as balenaEtcher to flash the board

hello @tooz

I connected to Tinker Edge R and PC using USB Type-C and started PC and Tinker Edge R, but Tinker Edge R option does not appear on balenaEtcher. But Device Manager recognizes Tinker Edge R as one of the Universal Serial Bus Controller.

And I don't know UMS mode, is the correct way to boot in UMS mode by booting without shorting the recovery header?

hello @Kubo

are you able to boot up the board with the current image? did you download the .img from the official website?  Tinker Board (asus.com)

here's a pic that shows when the board is on UMS mode(board connected to PC with USB cable, no jumper), this way you should be able to flash the board with a flash tool

flash_edge r.png

@tooz

I can start the boat with the current image(Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.4).
I downloaded the image(Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.4 and V1.0.13) from the official website.

Here is an image of the Etcher on my computer. ASUS Tinker UMS USB Device does not appear in [Select target]. (C drive and D drive appear).

etcher.PNG

Here is an image of Device Manager. The device(Tinker Edge R) is recognized as "Tinker Edge R" in "Universal Serial Bus Devices" instead of "ASUS Tinker UMS USB Device" in "Desk Drive". 

デバイス.PNG

Other, I tried it with a new Tinker Edge R and a Tinker Edge R with android os installed, but I couldn't.

Hello @Kubo

the VID shows that your board has had a normal boot, please connect the board to the PC with a typeC cable, and use the command to enter ums mode

#reboot ums

please be aware that the board will boot normally if the PC connection is not detected

Thank you @tooz

I was able to flash "Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13" to "Tinker Edge R" and launch it!

In UMS mode, it was "Linux UMS disk 0 USB Device" instead of "ASUS Tinker UMS USB Device", but there was no problem.
Value in the image : USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_LINUX&PROD_UMS_DISK_0&REV_FFFF\28EBEC221ABCEF32&0

suc.JPG

Finally, do you know why you couldn't flash "Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13" to Tinker Edge R using "Tinker_Edge_R-Flash_GUI_V1.0.0"? (Is there something missing in my computer environment?)
I will set up more than a dozen more units, so I would like to know if there is a way to set up efficiently.

thanks

I was able to flash "Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13" to "Tinker Edge R" and launch it!

→I can now flash "Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13" to "Tinker Edge R" and boot!!

Hello, I am struggling to achieve the same - I installed V1.0.4 some time ago but mangled it and would like to reflash it with the new version. Both scripts and the GUI tool fails.

How can I enter UMS mode to flash it with balena etcher?

A step by step guide would be appreciated as I have never used the UMS mode.

Hello, @qwuke

I flashed the new os to tinker edge r with the following steps

1. Flash the os [Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.4 2020/07/07] to tinker edge r. [Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.4] older than 2020/07/07 may not be possible transition to ums mode. I recommend download [Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.4] again.

2. Start LXterminal on tinker edge r and connect  USB Type-C

3. run the following command on LXterminal

sudo reboot ums

3. If you are asked to format the drive on your computer, it is a success.

4. Start Etcher on PC and flash new os.

Hi @tooz:

I use Tinker_Edge_R-Flash_GUI_V1.0.0  to flash "Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13" still failed.

But it worked by @Kubo method to enter ums mode and Start Etcher to Flash the image("Tinker Edge R Debian Stretch V1.0.13").

Can you help to update Tinker_Edge_R-Flash_GUI_V1.0.0 tool or image?