Sign in to follow this  
dec

sshd won't start at boot TinkerBoard S R2.0

We are beginning to work with the new TinkerBoard S R2.0 using the Tinker_Board-Debian-Buster-v3.0.11-20211026 image.

The only thing I did from the stock image was boot up and log in to WiFi.  All good there.

Now I’m just trying to configure system to run sshd at boot.  I have it enabled.  Systemd reports that it is enabled.  I can start it manually when logged in.  But it will not start at boot.  There are no log entries.  I turned on verbose logging in the sshd_config.  Port is configured. 

The system also seems to report running out of inotify watch descriptors often.

It will also report Failed to add /run/system/ask-password

Initially the runlevel never made it past multiuser target.  It was hanging in hostapd for some reason.  (Hostapd seems to be having lots of failure entries in syslog, etc…)  Also systemd time service (I forget the exact name at this time) was hanging.  Disabling these two services using system disable allowed the runlevel to progress and achieve multiuser.  But still no sshd.

Also noticing rc-local.service and rockchip.service show failure using systemctl list-dependencies

Of course systemctl status sshd shows dead.

Any thoughts?  I tried this on two boards, same results.

Ok update...

Was able to get sshd to start at boot after learning about sshd.socket.   

systemctl disable sshd.socket

Now sshd will start