whocares256

TinkerOS Upgrade to Latest Version of Debian

I have a process to upgrade Debian to the latest version.

You do "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on the current version and then do "apt-get dist-upgrade"

After this you update your repo to the next version and repeat the above steps.

I ran into an issue where I had 2 packages that had no installation candidate. You hold those packages and then do "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade".

Always do "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" before you do "apt-get dist-upgrade"

If you skip a version and try to upgrade to the latest version your upgrade will not work and TinkerOS will have issues.

I am running into similar issues upgrading from ASUS Tinkerboard S R2.0, from DEBIAN TinkerOS 10.10 (Buster) c to Bullseye. ASUS has not bothered to release a Bullseye version and it is really frustrating. Were you able to successfully upgrade to Bullseye. I changed /etc/apt/sources.list as per standard Debian Buster to Bullseye procedures, but upgrade or full upgrade does not even start and dont see any attempt to upgrade (silently exits).

I did --

apt update after updating /etc/apt/sources.list  to bullseye as per standard instructions on Debian website.

went through fine.

then apt upgrade -- silently exits with no error, says everything is upto--date and upgraded. Then I try apt full-upgrade, silently exits with no error.

/etc/os-release or /etc/debian_version still shows 10.10 !! What am I missing?

Please post the steps for upgrading ASUS Tinker OS (S R2.0 hardware) from Buster to Bullseye. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

I am running into similar issues upgrading from ASUS Tinkerboard S R2.0, from DEBIAN TinkerOS 10.10 (Buster) c to Bullseye. ASUS has not bothered to release a Bullseye version and it is really frustrating. Were you able to successfully upgrade to Bullseye. I changed /etc/apt/sources.list as per standard Debian Buster to Bullseye procedures, but upgrade or full upgrade does not even start and dont see any attempt to upgrade (silently exits).

I did --

apt update after updating /etc/apt/sources.list  to bullseye as per standard instructions on Debian website.

went through fine.

then apt upgrade -- silently exits with no error, says everything is upto--date and upgraded. Then I try apt full-upgrade, silently exits with no error.

/etc/os-release or /etc/debian_version still shows 10.10 !! What am I missing?

Please post the steps for upgrading ASUS Tinker OS (S R2.0 hardware) from Buster to Bullseye. I would really appreciate your help.

Here is what I tried --

apt-get update

Complained about mender.list under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

So, I moved over /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mender.list to a temporary location

, then tried apt update

It did the update , but prompted me do 'autoremove', which I did.

I did apt update again.

It went through fine.

I did apt upgrade after this --

apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Nothing !!! Then I did dist-upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree       

Then I did apt full-upgrade --

apt full-upgrade
Building dependency tree       

Nothing !!!! ... 

/etc/os-release is still at 10.10 - would like to upgrade to Bullseye (11.X) -- did not work.

Need your help to get this upgrade completed, it is critical for us to get to latest stable Debian with ASUS Tinkerboard S R2.0, but so many challenges it seems.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Basically, I got all the apt.sources for each version and upgraded through each version to the next. If you try to jump versions you run into dependency issues.

I always did in following order.

Ver9. or latest version on official image

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

reboot

apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot

update repos to next version and repeat till you get to final version.

between each reboot i imaged my sd card in case something broke and I did not have to start over every time from official image.

I used gnome-disk-utilities on xubuntu and if supported pishrink to shrink the image file.

If you run into any errors with packages breaking the update process you hold them and then update from last step that completed successfully. That is what my picture from above is from.

I found these lack of updates and complexity of getting up to date debian on my board so painful that I now use Armbian for most of my boards.

whocares256 what do you mean with "I got all the apt.sources for each version " ?
I'm trying to update from buster to bullseye but when I do apt update followed by apt upgrade, it just says that all packages are up to date and does nothing.
My sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

How were you able to upgrade ?

Any help is much appreciated.