Sign in to follow this  
SimT

Flashing from macOS?

hi,

I've got a Tinker Edge R board and I'm trying to understand if I can do anything with it using my mac:

• I tried connecting it via USB to the mac in order to flash it with balenaEtcher, but it doesn't appear as a device. At most I can see an Asus "USB download gadget" in system information. I simply connected the usb cable and the power supply, I didn't short any jumper on the board.
  • I tried visiting the download page, hoping to find something, but it doesn't list anything: https://tinker-board.asus.com/download-list.html?product=tinker-edge-r (Firefox reports a "CORS “Access-Control-Allow-Origin” missing" error when selecting Tinker Edge R from the dropdown.

Is there anything else I can try?

hello @SimT

if the tinker edge r's recognised as 'asus usb download gadget' it's likely that it's entered fastboot/ maskrom mode. if you've flashed android os on tinker edge r for the first time, it'll take about 100 to 200 seconds for tinker edge r to init (in fastboot mode), and the board will reboot once init is finished -- it's necessary for tinker edge r to complete init before it gets into the ums mode.

if your tinker edge r is stuck in fastboot mode, we'll need the pid/ vid to further the debugging. 

to find pid/ vid on mac: 

about this mac -> overview -> system report -> hardware -> usb