ihatemundays

Tinker Board Audio Jack Buzzing Issues

I'm having a little difficulty getting audio to work through my audio jack on an original Tinker Board (Rev 1.2). It produces a hissing sound either through two separate devices, both that work fine on my other PCs. I get sound through HDMI or USB fine, just not the audio jack. Based on the specifications, I believe the Realtek chip uses an ALC4040 codec for audio, but can't find the appropriate drivers. I saw an issue using the Realtek ALC4030U utility tool, but testing it didn't seem to recognize my audio chipset and wouldn't let me download ALC4040.rfw nor install it.

It seems similar to this issue:
https://tinker-board.asus.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15304-tinker-board-r20-audio-problem-hissing-noise/

But again, those steps only work for Tinker Board R2.0, not the original Tinker Board. Any help to fix my issues? Thanks!

hello @ihatemundays

i think the processes should be similar but i'll let you know with the firmware versions

hello @ihatemundays

i can't reproduce the issue on my side (tinker board rev.1.2, debian os) the audio works just fine. we'll need a bit more details to narrow down the issue -- 

1. os version

2. occurance

3. does it happen on specific timing -- i.e. on boot/ when playing certain type of audio ...

4. commands that you use 

it might not be the audio firmware problem as alc4040 and alc4030u are different; they also have different firmware upgrade process flows. alc4030u uses one time programmable memory and alc4040 doesn't

You are correct. I had an unfortunate ground loop because my power supply was feeding both the audio amplifier and the Tinker Board. I fed the audio amplifier's power by the 2 and 6 pins on the GPIO of the Tinker Board, and no more groundloop. But then I had an issue where I couldn't get it to recognize the hw:0,2 device properly. But I figured that out too! Hopefully this will help someone.

Instead of adding hw:0,2 to default.pa (it was already defined as OnBoard_D2), I added it to /etc/asound.conf. Adding this configuration will add it as the default on startup, handle multi channels, etc.

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "OnBoard_D2"
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card OnBoard
        device 2
}

Regards!

Edited by ihatemundays