jovanpn

Debian 11 (kernel 5.10) V3.0.11 iptables and nftables problem

Hi,

I'm trying to set firewall rules using iptables (tried also with nftables) but I'm having troubles with some options. I want to add this rule for example: iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp ! -s 127.0.0.1 --dport 8080 -j MARK --set-mark 1 but then I get error iptables v1.8.7 (legacy): unknown option "--set-mark". If I translate command to nftables: nft 'add rule ip mangle PREROUTING ip saddr != 127.0.0.1 tcp dport 8080 counter meta mark set 0x1' then I'm getting error Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory which points to the counter word.

After some extensive research, it seems that some modules are not loaded. Is someone familiar with this problem and are there some solution with this Debian version or I will have to wait for some new Debian release?

Hi @tooz

thank you for your response! UFW, as it is described by Debian Wiki page (UFW Debian Wiki page) is just a frontend for iptables, so I doubt UFW will be of any help. This seems to be a functional error and as I mentioned in my question above, some of the iptables modules are not loaded (or even not installed on the system). This same rule works fine on Debian 10 with kernel 4.19 (system image version 2.1.16).

If I execute this command cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches on both system versions, on Debian 10 kernel 4.19 I get a far longer list of modules than on Debian 11 kernel 5.10.

Back in 2021 I had the very same problem with Debian 10 for Tinker Board 2S version 2.0.0 as I posted it here:

and back then I got it resolved with new version of Debian 10 when it was released.

hello @jovanpn

i'll check and see if we've missed out something in the defconfig, if so this will be fixed in the next release. 

hello @jovanpn

i've compiled a beta boot.img (file name boot.1.img) with a couple of more configs enabled, please give it a try and let me know

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/11FC555055EA4D0288030C09125440F24

to replace the boot.img: 

check the partition orders from the parameter.txt in the v.3.0.11 image file, in this case the boot.img is the 4th

CMDLINE: mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00002000@0x00004000(uboot),0x00002000@0x00006000(trust),0x00002000@0x00008000(misc),0x00020000@0x0000a000(boot),0x00040000@0x0002a000(recovery),0x00010000@0x0006a000(backup),0x00020000@0x0007a000(userdata),-@0x0009a000(rootfs:grow)
uuid:rootfs=614e0000-0000-4b53-8000-1d28000054a9

on tinker board 2s:

sudo lsblk

replace the fourth partition (boot.img) with boot.1.img

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/boot.1.img of=/dev/mmcblk1p4 status=progress && sync

Wv6XI9u.png

reboot and check if the changes work

Hi @tooz

thank you very much for your response and effort! I can confirm that now iptables work correctly.

However, I still have problem with nftables and adding the rule: nft 'add rule ip mangle PREROUTING ip saddr != 127.0.0.1 tcp dport 8080 counter meta mark set 0x1' causes me to get the same error Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory with pointers pointing to the counter word in the command. Maybe you could take a look at this article https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/667830 I found.

First of all, I can live with iptables solution, but I thought to switch to nftables because it is now a default firewall since Debian 10. The reason I wrote about both errors (with iptables and nftables) is that I thought these two are somehow connected, but I see now they are not. One thing I noticed is that nftables package is not installed by default in this image file like it is described on Debian website. And I also tried working with nftables on fresh Debian 11 desktop installation on my PC which worked perfectly. nftables package was installed by default and I didnt have to configure anything with it, just add rules which all worked without any error. What is your opinion on replicating the same setup with nftables within the next release of Debian 11 for Tinker Board 2S?

Hi @tooz

thank you again for your effort. Unfortunately, nftables error remains. I now tried to write fresh Debian 11 image v3.0.11 on Tinker Board, then I applied your boot.2.img image, rebooted Tinker Board, then I updated the Debian with latest updates and then installed the nftables package. And in the end I started adding firewall rules and got the result from the picture below.

nftables_error.png