Sign in to follow this  
Subbu

I2S DAC for TB 2 S

Hi

I purchased a TB 2S 4GB version as it was some how cheaper than even TB R2.0 or TB 2S 2GB!!! Maybe a mistake from the seller in his listing.  I got it to make a streamer for my audio system. 

Anyways, with Tinker OS I managed to install Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on it. Also got my NAS to be mounted automatically on TB 2 S. I use my old iFi USB DAC to play my music. Excellent output. But the DAC is somehow playing foul with one channel. Drops out at time. 

I want to try a I2S DAC on TB 2S. I am a newbie to SBC and related stuff. 

• Are all HAT DACs I2S DAC?
  • With the huge heatsink, it is not possible to connect any HAT DAC. What terminal of TB 2 S do I use to connect with point to point connection to a DAC?
  • Do I do any configuration on TB 2 S?
  • Would I need to install any driver for any generic HAT DACs?

Thanks

Subbu

hello @Subbu

On 3/17/2023 at 12:24 AM, Subbu said:

Are all HAT DACs I2S DAC?

→it varies. not all HAT DACs i2s DAC, tinker-40pin-i2s is one of the methods for using DAC

With the huge heatsink, it is not possible to connect any HAT DAC. What terminal of TB 2 S do I use to connect with point to point connection to a DAC?

→ it depends on the circuit design of the DAC you're using. we'd also suggest you to use perhaps 2 or 3 pieces of extansion headers(the heatsink is tall) in case you connect to the wrong pins

• Do I do any configuration on TB 2 S?

→different DACs all have different hardware design and chips, their dts files should be configured and enabled. using one of the DACs from the QVL (Tinker Board (asus.com)) would be a good way to avoid most of the compatibility issues.